- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Wentworth, New South Wales, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016.
- Ministerial appointments
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Prime Minister from 27.1.06 to 30.1.07.
- Minister for the Environment and Water Resources from 30.1.07 to 3.12.07.
- Minister for Communications from 18.9.13 to 21.9.15.
- Prime Minister from 15.9.15.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Economics, Finance and Public Administration from 1.12.04 to 9.2.06; Economics from 11.3.08 to 28.8.08; Environment and Heritage from 1.12.04 to 9.2.06; Health and Ageing from 1.12.04 to 9.2.06; Legal and Constitutional Affairs from 1.12.04 to 9.2.06.
- Joint Statutory: Public Works from 25.10.10 to 24.3.11.
- Joint Standing: Treaties from 1.12.04 to 11.8.05; Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 1.12.04 to 9.2.06; National Broadband Network from 22.3.11 to 5.8.13; Broadcasting Legislation from 14.3.13 to 24.6.13.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 6.12.07 to 1.12.09 and from 14.9.10 to 18.9.13. Shadow Treasurer from 6.12.07 to 22.9.08; Shadow Minister for Communications and Broadband from 14.9.10 to 18.9.13.
- Leader of the Federal Parliamentary Liberal Party from 16.9.08 to 1.12.09 and from 14.9.15.
- Leader of the Opposition from 16.9.08 to 1.12.09.
- Party positions
- Honorary Federal Treasurer, Liberal Party 2002-03.
- Member, Liberal Party State Executive (NSW) 2002-03.
- Member, Liberal Party Federal Finance Committee 2002-03.
- Member, Liberal Party Federal Executive 2002-03.
- Director, Menzies Research Centre 2001-04.
- Born 24.10.1954, Sydney, NSW.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BA, LLB (Syd), BCL(Hons) (Oxon).
- Rhodes Scholar (NSW 1978).
- Journalist 1975-79.
- Barrister and solicitor 1980-83 and 1986-88.
- Grazier 1982-2004.
- General Counsel and Secretary, Consolidated Press Holdings Group 1983-85.
- Managing Director, Turnbull and Partners Ltd 1987-97.
- Chairman, OzEmail Ltd 1994-99.
- Director, FTR Holdings Ltd 1995-2004.
- Chairman and Managing Director, Goldman Sachs Australia 1997-2001.
- Partner, Goldman Sachs and Co 1998-2001.
Description: inner metropolitan.
Location: eastern Sydney; it includes the suburbs of Bellevue Hill, Bondi, Bondi Beach, Bondi Junction, Bronte, Centennial Park, Darling Point, Dover Heights, Double Bay, Edgecliff, Elizabeth Bay, North Bondi, Paddington, Point Piper, Queens Park, Rose Bay, Rushcutters Bay, Tamarama, Vaucluse, Watson's Bay, Waverley, Woollahra and parts of Clovelly, Darlinghurst, Moore Park, Randwick and Woolloomooloo.
Area: 38 sq km.
Electors enrolled: 102 782 (at 2.7.16).
Industries: finance, property, service, wholesale and retail trade, tourism, education, sport and recreation.
State electorates: Wentworth includes the New South Wales Legislative Assembly electorate of Vaucluse, and parts of Coogee, Heffron and Sydney.
- Awarded Centenary Medal 2003.
- The Spycatcher trial, Richmond: William Heinemann, 1988.
- The reluctant republic, Port Melbourne: William Heinemann, 1993.
- Fighting for the republic: the ultimate insider's account, South Yarra: Hardie Grant, 1999.
|Capitol Telephone||(02) 6277 7700|
|Capitol Fax||(02) 6273 4100|
|Electorate Telephone||(02) 9327 3988|
|Electorate Fax||(02) 9327 2533|