- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Cowper, New South Wales, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016.
- Ministerial appointments
- Assistant Minister for Employment from 18.9.13 to 21.9.15.
- Minister for Vocational Education and Skills from 21.9.15 to 18.2.16.
- Assistant Minister to the Deputy Prime Minister from 19.7.16.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Ageing from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04; Employment and Workplace Relations from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04 and from 11.3.08 to 10.11.08; Education and Vocational Training from 1.12.04 to 17.10.07 (Chair from 9.12.04 to 17.10.07); Privileges from 1.12.04 to 17.10.07; Procedure from 31.5.05 to 17.10.07; Economics from 3.2.10 to 19.7.10.
- Joint Statutory: Corporations and Financial Services from 3.2.10 to 19.7.10.
- Joint Standing: National Broadband Network from 22.3.11 to 5.8.13; Treaties from 22.2.16 to 9.5.16 (Chair from 22.2.16 to 9.5.16).
- Parliamentary party positions
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 6.12.07 to 18.9.13. Shadow Minister for Business Development, Independent Contractors and Consumer Affairs from 6.12.07 to 22.9.08; Shadow Minister for Competition Policy and Consumer Affairs from 22.9.08 to 8.12.09; Shadow Minister for Consumer Affairs, Financial Services, Superannuation and Corporate Law from 8.12.09 to 14.9.10; Shadow Minister for Youth and Sport from 14.9.10; Shadow Minister for Regional Communications from 14.9.10 to 18.9.13.
- Deputy Manager of Opposition Business in the House from 6.12.07 to 18.9.13.
- Deputy Leader of the House from 18.9.13.
- Party positions
- Member, The Nationals Central Council (NSW).
- Born 28.4.1959, Muswellbrook, NSW.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BComm (Ncle).
- Associate Diploma Valuation.
- Associate Member, Certified Practising Accountants Australia.
- Small business operator.
- Founding Board Member, Coffs Coast Tourism.
Location: New South Wales north coast; it includes the centres of Bellingen, Bowraville, Coffs Harbour, Dorrigo, Kempsey, Maclean, Macksville, Nambucca Heads, Sawtell, South West Rocks, Urunga and Woolgoolga.
Area: 7 296 sq km.
Electors enrolled: 118 260 (at 2.7.16).
Industries: fishing, forestry, agriculture, bananas, dairy cattle and tourism.
State electorates: Cowper includes the New South Wales Legislative Assembly electorate of Coffs Harbour, and parts of Clarence and Oxley.