- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the Senate for Victoria 2007 (term began 1.7.2008). Resigned 12.8.2013.
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Batman, Victoria, 2013 and 2016.
- Ministerial appointments
- Parliamentary Secretary for Defence from 14.9.10 to 18.9.13.
- Committee service
- Senate Standing: Publications from 1.7.08 to 27.9.10; Privileges from 12.5.10 to 27.9.10.
- Senate Legislative and General Purpose Standing: Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 1.7.08 to 14.5.09; Legal and Constitutional Affairs from 1.7.08 to 14.5.09; Legal and Constitutional Affairs: Legislation and References Committees from 14.5.09 to 27.9.10.
- Senate Select: Climate Policy from 18.3.09 to 15.6.09.
- Joint Statutory: Public Accounts and Audit from 1.7.08 to 19.7.10.
- Joint Standing: Electoral Matters from 15.9.09 to 26.10.10; Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16 and from 15.9.16.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 14.10.13. Shadow Minister for Justice and Shadow Assistant Minister for Defence from 18.10.13 to 23.07.16.
- Shadow Minister for Veterans' Affairs from 1.7.14 to 23.07.16.
- Shadow Minister for the Centenary of ANZAC from 1.7.14 to 23.07.16.
- Party positions
- Member, ALP Administrative Committee (Vic.) 1994-2002.
- Caucus Secretary, Federal Parliamentary Labor Party 2008-10.
- Born 5.3.1970, Adelaide, SA.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- MPPM (Monash).
- Federal Industrial Officer, Transport Workers' Union 1994-98.
- ALP State Secretary and Campaign Director (Vic.) 1999-2002.
- Director of Strategy, Office of the Premier of Victoria, the Hon. SP Bracks, MLA 2003-04.
- ALP Campaign Director (SA) 2005-06.
- ALP Assistant National Secretary 2005-08.
Description: inner metropolitan.
Location: north eastern Melbourne; it includes the suburbs of Alphington, Clifton Hill, Fairfield, Kingsbury, Northcote, Preston, Reservoir and Thornbury, and parts of Bundoora, Coburg North, Macleod and Thomastown.
Area: 66 sq km.
Electors enrolled: 108 935 (at 2.7.16).
Industries: retail, light engineering, textiles, clothing and footwear.
State electorates: Batman includes the Victorian Legislative Assembly electorates of Northcote and Preston, and parts of Richmond and Thomastown.