- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Leichhardt, Queensland, 1996. Re-elected 1998, 2001, 2004. Retired prior to general elections 2007. Elected to the House of Representatives for Leichhardt, Queensland, 2010. Re-elected 2013, 2016 and 2019.
- Parliamentary appointments
- Member of the Parliamentary Retiring Allowances Trust from 15.9.2016.
- Ministerial appointments
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Industry, Science and Resources from 21.10.1998 to 26.11.2001.
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Industry, Tourism and Resources from 26.11.2001 to 27.1.2006.
- Committee service
- Joint Statutory: Native Title and the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Land Fund from 18.6.1996 to 31.8.1998 (Chair from 4.6.1997 to 31.8.1998); Broadcasting of Parliamentary Proceedings from 4.7.2019.
- Joint Standing: Northern Australia from 14.9.2016 (Chair from 14.9.2016).
- Joint Select: Northern Australia from 11.12.2013 to 9.5.2016 (Chair from 11.12.2013 to 9.5.2016).
- House of Representatives Standing: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs from 29.5.1996 to 31.8.1998; Environment, Recreation and the Arts from 30.5.1996 to 31.8.1998; Environment and Heritage from 9.2.2006 to 17.10.2007; Health and Ageing from 9.2.2006 to 17.10.2007; Selection from 30.9.2010 to 23.5.2011; House from 25.10.2010 to 5.8.2013; Selection from 25.5.2011 to 5.8.2013; Environment and Energy from 14.9.2016 to 11.4.2019; Infrastructure, Transport and Cities from 15.9.2016 to 11.4.2019; Social Policy and Legal Affairs from 7.2.2018 to 11.4.2019; Indigenous Affairs from 4.7.2019.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Opposition Chief Whip in the House of Representatives from 14.9.2010 to 5.8.2013.
- Born 31.5.1950, Babinda, Australia
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- Company director.
- Aircraft engine fitter 1969-78.
- Maintenance fitter and welder 1978-82.
- Real estate sales and development, 1982-96.
- Crocodile catcher and farmer 1982-.
- Grazier, 1988-.
- Military Service
- RAAF 1969-78.
- Name: Leichhardt
- Location: The Division of Leichhardt consists of: Aurukun Shire Council, Cook Shire Council, Douglas Shire Council, Hope Vale Aboriginal Shire Council, Kowanyama Aboriginal Shire Council, Lockhart River Aboriginal Shire Council, Mapoon Aboriginal Shire Council, Napranum Aboriginal Shire Council, Northern Peninsula Area Regional Council, Pormpuraaw Aboriginal Shire Council, Torres Shire Council, Torres Strait Island Regional Council, Weipa Town Council, Wujal Wujal Aboriginal Shire Council, part of the Cairns Regional Council, part of the Carpentaria Shire Council, and part of the Mareeba Shire Council.
- Area: 148,559 Sq km
- Electors enrolled: 109,458 (at 10.6.2019)
- Industries: Sugar, tropical fruit, aquaculture, cattle, fishing, mining and tourism.