- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Franklin, Tasmania, 2007. Re-elected 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
- Ministerial appointments
- Parliamentary Secretary for Community Services from 14.9.2010 to 14.12.2011.
- Minister for Community Services from 14.12.2011 to 18.9.2013.
- Minister for Indigenous Employment and Economic Development from 14.12.2011 to 18.9.2013.
- Minister for the Status of Women from 14.12.2011 to 18.9.2013.
- Minister for Housing and Homelessness from 1.7.2013 to 18.9.2013.
- Cabinet Minister from 1.7.2013 to 18.9.2013.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Communications from 19.2.2008 to 19.7.2010; Education and Training from 19.2.2008 to 19.7.2010; Family, Community, Housing and Youth from 19.2.2008 to 19.7.2010; Infrastructure, Transport and Cities from 10.11.2015 to 9.5.2016.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Shadow Minister for Regional Development and Local Government from 18.10.2013 to 23.7.2016.
- Shadow Minister for Employment Services from 18.10.2013 to 23.7.2016.
- Shadow Minister for Ageing and Mental Health from 23.7.2016 to 2.6.2019.
- Shadow Minister for Ageing and Seniors from 2.6.2019.
- Shadow Minister for Women from 2.6.2019.
- Party positions
- Member of the Australian Labor Party from 1988.
- Member of the Australian Labor Party Campaign Committee (Tas.) from 1996 to 2002.
- Member of the Australian Labor Party Federal Campaign Committee from 1996 to 2007.
- President of Young Labor (Tas.), 1996.
- Delegate to the Australian Labor Party State Conference (Tas.) from 2000 to 2007.
- Delegate to the Australian Labor Party National Conference, 2004.
- Member of the Australian Labor Party Administrative Committee from 2004.
- Secretary of the Australian Labor Party State Branch (Tas.) from 2006 to 2007.
- Delegate to the Australian Labor Party National Conference, 2007.
- Born 3.7.1971, Hobart, Australia
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- CertIVBA (TAFE Tasmania).
- Administrative Officer, ALP (Tas.) 1987-90.
- Administrative Assistant, Minister for Health's Office 1990-92.
- Administrative Officer, Department of Health 1992-93.
- Administrative Officer to the Leader of the Opposition (Tas.), the Hon. MW Field, MHA 1993-94.
- Electorate Officer to Senator J Coates 1995-96.
- Adviser to Senator SM Mackay 1996-98.
- Business Support Officer, Hydro Tasmania 1998.
- Personal Assistant and Adviser to the Premier of Tasmania, the Hon. JA Bacon, MHA 1998-2003.
- Manager, Ministerial Unit, Department of Tourism, Parks, Heritage and the Arts (Tas.) 2003-05.
- Adviser to Senator CL Brown 2005-06.
- State Secretary, ALP (Tas.) 2006-07.
- Name: Franklin
- Location: The Division of Franklin consists of the: Municipality of Huon Valley, part of the City of Clarence, and part of the Municipality of Kingborough. The Division of Franklin includes Macquarie Island.
- Area: 10,009 Sq km
- Electors enrolled: 76,619 (at 6.6.2019)
- Industries: Apples, pears, small fruits, aquaculture, fishing, beef cattle, sheep, forestry, cottage industry, vineyards and tourism.