- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Newcastle, New South Wales, 2013. Re-elected 2016 and 2019.
- Parliamentary positions
- Member of the Speaker's Panel from 25.3.2015 to 9.5.2016.
- Member of the Speaker's Panel from 11.10.2016.
- Committee service
- Joint Statutory: Public Works from 4.12.2013 to 9.5.2016.
- Joint Standing: Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 15.9.2016 to 1.7.2019; Parliamentary Library (formerly Library) from 23.7.2019.
- Joint Select: Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse from 7.12.2017 to 2.4.2019 (Deputy Chair from 15.2.2018 to 2.4.2019); Implementation of the National Redress Scheme from 24.10.2019.
- House of Representatives Standing: Appropriations and Administration from 4.12.2013 to 9.5.2016; Publications from 4.12.2013 to 9.5.2016; Social Policy and Legal Affairs from 4.12.2013 to 9.5.2016; Indigenous Affairs from 19.10.2015 to 9.5.2016; Indigenous Affairs from 15.9.2016; Social Policy and Legal Affairs from 15.9.2016 (Deputy Chair from 23.7.2019).
- Party positions
- Chair of the Australian Labor Party Status of Women Caucus Committee.
- Chair of the Australian Labor Party Medicare Caucus Committee.
- Member of the Australian Labor Party National Policy Forum.
- Member of the Australian Labor Party Social Policy Caucus Committee.
- Member of the Australian Labor Party International and Legal Affairs Caucus Committee.
- Member of the Australian Labor Party Newcastle Branch from 1999.
- Delegate of the Australian Labor Party State Conference (NSW) from 2002.
- Member of the Australian Labor Party Reconciliation and Indigenous Affairs Committee (NSW) from 2002 to 2007.
- Delegate to the Australian Labor Party National Conference from 2007.
- Member of the Australian Labor Party Administrative Committee (NSW) from 2007 to 2013.
- Born 26.4.1964, Camperdown, Australia
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BA(Hons) (University of Sydney).
- Disability support worker.
- Social anthropologist.
- Electorate officer.
- Local government service
- Councillor, Newcastle City Council from 2008 to 2012.
- Name: Newcastle
- Location: Newcastle covers an area from the Hunter River and the Rail Trail in the north, Minmi in the west and Newcastle Link Road, Lake Road, Reservoir Road, Wallsend Road, Newcastle Inner City Bypass, the Main Northern Railway line, Marshall Street and Main Road in the south and the coast from Merewether to Stockton in the east. The main suburbs include Adamstown, Broadmeadow, Cardiff Heights, Carrington, Elermore Vale, Fletcher, Jesmond, Kooragang, Kotara, Lambton, Maryland, Merewether, Minmi, Newcastle, New Lambton, Sandgate, Shortland, Stockton, Waratah and Wallsend.
- Area: 171 Sq km
- Electors enrolled: 117,650 (at 6.6.2019)
- Industries: Ship-building and repairs, transport equipment, tourism, tertiary education, food-processing, railway goods, chemicals and heavy engineering. Newcastle is the second largest city in NSW and is a busy port, handling imports and exports.
|Capitol Telephone||(02) 6277 4285|
|Capitol Fax||(02) 6277 2378|
|Electorate Telephone||(02) 4926 1555|
|Electorate Fax||(02) 4926 1895|