- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Prospect, New South Wales, 2004. Re-elected 2007. Elected to the House of Representatives for McMahon, New South Wales, 2010, following electoral redistribution. Re-elected 2013, 2016 and 2019.
- Ministerial appointments
- Assistant Treasurer from 3.12.2007 to 9.6.2009.
- Minister for Competition Policy and Consumer Affairs from 3.12.2007 to 9.6.2009.
- Minister for Financial Services, Superannuation and Corporate Law from 9.6.2009 to 14.9.2010.
- Minister for Human Services from 9.6.2009 to 14.9.2010.
- Cabinet Minister from 9.6.2009 to 25.3.2013.
- Minister for Immigration and Citizenship from 14.9.2010 to 4.2.2013.
- Minister for Tertiary Education, Skills, Science and Research from 4.2.2013 to 25.3.2013.
- Minister for Small Business from 4.2.2013 to 25.3.2013.
- Treasurer from 27.6.2013 to 18.9.2013.
- Committee service
- Joint Statutory: Corporations and Financial Services from 2.12.2004 to 17.10.2007.
- House of Representatives Standing: Economics, Finance and Public Administration from 2.12.2004 to 7.12.2005; Economics from 14.5.2013 to 5.8.2013; Education and Employment from 14.5.2013 to 5.8.2013.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Acting Leader of the Federal Parliamentary Australian Labor Party from 13.9.2013 to 13.10.2013.
- Shadow Assistant Treasurer from 10.12.2006 to 3.12.2007.
- Shadow Minister for Revenue and Competition Policy from 10.12.2006 to 3.12.2007.
- Acting Leader of the Opposition from 18.9.2013 to 13.10.2013.
- Shadow Treasurer from 18.10.2013 to 2.6.2019.
- Acting Shadow Minister for Small Business and Financial Services from 6.12.2017 to 28.6.2018.
- Shadow Minister for Small Business from 28.6.2018 to 2.6.2019.
- Shadow Minister for Health from 2.6.2019.
- Party positions
- Member of the Australian Labor Party from 1988.
- Secretary of the Australian Labor Party Smithfield Branch from 1991 to 2005.
- President of the Australian Labor Party Fairfield State Electorate Council from 1992 to 2005.
- Assistant General Returning Officer of the Australian Labor Party (NSW) from 1993 to 2004.
- Born 17.1.1973, Sydney, Australia
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- DiplomaModLang(Bahasa Indonesia) (University of New England).
- MIR (Griffith University).
- BEc (University of Sydney).
- Research and media officer to the Hon JA Crosio, MP 1994-95.
- Industrial officer, Finance Sector Union 1995-2000.
- Senior adviser to the Hon. PC Scully, MLA (NSW) 2000-01.
- Chief of Staff for the Hon. PC Scully, MLA (NSW) 2001-04.
- Local government service
- Councillor, Fairfield City Council from 1995 to 2004.
- Mayor, Fairfield City Council from 1998 to 1999.
- President, Western Sydney Regional Organisation of Councils from 1999 to 2001.
- Name: McMahon
- Location: McMahon is bound by South Creek in the west, the north boundary follows the Western Motorway, Ropes Creek and the Great Western Highway. The eastern boundary follows Centenary Road, Merrylands Road, Oxford Street, Woodville Road, Fairfield St, Pine Road, Prospect Creek and Orphan School Creek. The southern boundary follows King Road, Polding Street, Mimosa Road, The Horsley Road, Cowpasture Road, part of the western boundary of Abbotsbury, the westlink M7 motorway and Elizabeth Drive. Suburbs include Canley Vale, Eastern Creek, Fairfield, Fairfield West, Guildford (part), Huntingwood, Kemps Creek, Merrylands, Minchinbury, Mount Vernon, Old Guildford, Orchard Hills, Pemulwuy, Smithfield, South Wentworthville, St Clair, Wetherill Park, Woodpark and Yennora.
- Area: 168 Sq km
- Electors enrolled: 106,754 (at 13.6.2019)
- Industries: Building/construction, light manufacturing, wholesale and retail, transport industry, agriculture and mixed farming.