- Parliamentary service
- State: elected to the Tasmanian House of Assembly for Denison 18.3.2006. Defeated 13.4.2010.
- Federal: elected to the Senate for Tasmania 2010 (term began 1.7.2011) and 2016.
- Ministerial appointments
- State: Parliamentary Secretary to the Premier (Tas.) from 14.4.08 to 24.11.08.
- Minister for Corrections and Consumer Protection (Tas.) from 24.11.08 to 13.4.10.
- Minister for Workplace Relations (Tas.) from 24.11.08 to 13.4.10.
- Minister Assisting the Premier on Climate Change (Tas.) from 23.4.09 to 13.4.10.
- Committee service
- State: Joint Standing: Subordinate Legislation 2006-08.
- Joint Sessional: Library 2006-08.
- Federal: Senate Standing: Appropriations and Staffing from 27.6.12 to 11.11.13.
- Senate Legislative and General Purpose Standing: Environment and Communications: Legislation Committee from 1.7.11 to 11.11.13 and from 1.7.14 to 30.11.15 and References Committee from 1.7.14 to 9.5.16; Legal and Constitutional Affairs: Legislation and References Committees from 12.11.13 to 1.7.14; Finance and Public Administration References from 1.9.16.
- Joint Statutory: Australian Commission for Law Enforcement Integrity from 1.7.11 to 1.7.14; Law Enforcement from 12.11.13 to 9.5.16 and from 12.9.16 to 15.9.16; Corporations and Financial Services from 4.12.13 to 1.7.14; Human Rights from 12.9.16 to 15.9.16.
- Joint Standing: Migration from 1.7.11 to 5.8.13; Parliamentary Library from 1.7.11 to 5.8.13; Treaties from 1.7.11 to 5.8.13 and from 1.9.16 to 15.9.16; Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16.
- Joint Select: Constitutional Recognition of Local Government from 1.11.12 to 21.11.12.
- Senate Select: Scrutiny of Government Budget Measures from 25.2.16 to 9.5.16.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary to the Shadow Attorney-General from 18.10.13 to 1.7.14.
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for the Environment, Climate Change and Water from 1.7.14 to 23.07.16.
- Party positions
- Delegate, ALP State Conference (Tas.) 2000-14.
- President, ALP New Town Branch 2001-05.
- Delegate, ALP National Conference 2004.
- Member, ALP Administrative Committee (Tas.) 2006-08.
- Born 20.2.1972, Hobart, Tas.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BA (Hons)(Tas.).
- Master of International Relations (Macq.)
- Organiser, Australian Education Union (Tas.) 1998.
- Adviser to Senator SM Mackay, Shadow Minister for Regional Services, Territories and Local Government 1999-2002.
- Director, Tasmanian Working Women's Centre 2003-04.
- Adviser to the Minister for Tourism, Parks and Heritage (Tas.) 2004-05.
- Manager, Art Business Unit, Dept of Tourism, Parks, Heritage and the Arts (Tas.) 2005-06.
- Chief Executive Officer, Asbestos Free Tasmania Foundation 2010-11.
- Hobart Citizen of the Year 2004.