- Parliamentary service
- Territory: Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 2004 to 2013.
- Federal: Elected to the Senate for the Australian Capital Territory 2013. Re-elected 2016 and 2019.
- Parliamentary appointments
- Member of the National Library of Australia Council from 11.12.2013 to 28.09.2016.
- Parliamentary positions
- Temporary Chair of Committees from 7.7.2014 to 9.5.2016.
- Ministerial appointments
- Assistant Minister for Social Services and Multicultural Affairs from 19.7.2016 to 20.12.2017.
- Assistant Minister for Science, Jobs and Innovation from 20.12.2017 to 28.8.2018.
- Assistant Minister for Treasury and Finance from 28.8.2018 to 29.5.2019.
- Assistant Minister for Finance, Charities and Electoral Matters from 29.5.2019.
- Committee service
- Senate Standing: Regulations and Ordinances from 13.11.2013 to 9.5.2016.
- Senate Select: National Broadband Network from 2.12.2013 to 1.7.2014; Health from 1.7.2014 to 9.5.2016.
- Senate Legislative and General Purpose Standing: Community Affairs: Legislation from 13.11.2013 to 9.5.2016 (Chair from 7.7.2014 to 9.5.2016); Legal and Constitutional Affairs: Legislation from 13.11.2013 to 1.7.2014; Legal and Constitutional Affairs: References from 13.11.2013 to 1.7.2014; Community Affairs: References from 1.7.2014 to 9.5.2016.
- Joint Standing: Parliamentary Library from 13.11.2013 to 9.5.2016 (Chair from 3.12.2014 to 9.5.2016); National Capital and External Territories from 2.12.2013 to 9.5.2016; National Disability Insurance Scheme from 2.12.2013 to 9.5.2016.
- Joint Select: Australia Fund Establishment from 29.10.2014 to 25.6.2015.
- Party positions
- Convener of the Liberal Party Policy Committee (ACT) from 2003 to 2004.
- Born 27.3.1977, Canberra, Australia
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BA (Australian National University).
- LLB (Australian National University).
- GradCertPubAdmin (University of Canberra).
- GradDipLegPrac (Australian National University).
- Woolworths supermarkets 1995-98.
- Cleaner, Mackillop College 1998.
- Legal Assistant (casual), Australian Fisheries Management Authority 1998-99.
- Policy Officer, Lawyer, Senior Lawyer, Commonwealth Dept of Transport and Regional Services 2000-04.
- Member, ACT Legislative Assembly 2004-13.
- Local government service
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 2004 to 2013.
- Shadow Minister for Infrastructure from 2004 to 2007.
- Shadow Minister for Planning from 2004 to 2012.
- Shadow Minister for Youth Affairs from 2004 to 2007.
- Elected to the Australian Capital Territory Legislative Assembly, 2004. Resigned 11.6.2013 to contest election to the Senate for the Australian Capital Territory.
- Shadow Minister for Corrections from 2006 to 2012.
- Parliamentary Leader of the Canberra Liberals from 2007 to 2013.
- Leader of the Opposition from December 2007 to June 2013.
- Shadow Minister for Education and Training, 2008.
- Shadow Minister for Indigenous Affairs, 2008.
- Shadow Minister for Ageing from 2008 to 2012.
- Shadow Minister for Environment and Climate Change from 2008 to 2012.
- Shadow Minister for Housing Affordability from 2008 to 2012.
- Shadow Minister for Human Rights from 2008 to 2012.
- Shadow Minister for Transport Planning from 2008 to 2012.
- Shadow Attorney-General from 2012 to 2013.
- Shadow Minister for Cost of Living from 2012 to 2013.
- Shadow Minister for Police, Emergency Services, Corrections and Industrial Relations to 2012 to 2013.
- Shadow Minister for Utilities from 2012 to 2013.