- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the Senate for the Northern Territory 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010 and 2013 (Territory Senators serve for the same term as the House of Representatives).
- Ministerial appointments
- Minister for Community Services from 30.1.07 to 3.12.07.
- Minister for Indigenous Affairs from 18.9.13.
- Committee service
- Senate Standing: Library from 14.2.02 to 16.8.05; Publications from 28.8.02 to 16.8.05.
- Senate Legislative and General Purpose Standing: Legal and Constitutional: Legislation Committee from 13.2.02 to 11.9.06 and References Committee from 14.2.02 to 16.8.05; Legal and Constitutional Affairs from 11.9.06 to 8.2.07; Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade: Legislation and References Committees from 11.8.05 to 16.8.05.
- Senate Select: Administration of Indigenous Affairs from 17.6.04 to 8.3.05; Mental Health from 10.3.05 to 28.4.06; Regional and Remote Indigenous Communities from 20.3.08 to 24.9.10.
- Joint Statutory: Public Accounts and Audit from 14.2.02 to 16.8.05; Native Title and the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Land Account from 1.7.02 to 23.3.06.
- Joint Standing: National Capital and External Territories from 1.7.02 to 16.8.05 and from 7.9.09 to 27.10.09; Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 16.8.05 to 8.2.07.
- Joint Select: Constitutional Recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples from 29.11.12 to 5.8.13.
- Parliamentary party positions
- The Nationals Party Whip in the Senate from 7.2.06 to 6.2.07.
- Deputy Leader of The Nationals in the Senate from 7.2.07 to 3.12.07.
- Leader of The Nationals in the Senate from 3.12.07 to 17.9.08 and from 13.9.13.
- Federal Parliamentary Deputy Leader, The Nationals from 3.12.07 to 13.9.13.
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 6.12.07 to 18.9.13. Shadow Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry from 6.12.07 to 22.9.08; Shadow Minister for Human Services from 22.9.08 to 8.12.09; Shadow Minister for Indigenous Affairs from 8.12.09 to 18.9.13.
- Party positions
- Member, Country Liberal Party Management Committee.
- Born 4.5.1956, London, UK.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- Graduate, Australian Rural Leadership Program.
- Master Class 5 (Trading and Fishing).
- Professional fisherman and owner/operator of various marine service industries.
- Field assistant, geophysical observer and managerial positions in the mining industry.
- Company director.
- Chair, Northern Territory Seafood Council 1994-2001.
- Chair, Northern Territory Seafood and Maritime Training Advisory Board 1994-98.
- Chair, Australian Seafood Industry Council 1996-2001.
- Deputy Chair, International Coalition of Fisheries Association 1998; Chair 1999.