- Parliamentary service
- State: elected to the New South Wales Legislative Council 27.3.1999. Resigned 19.7.2010.
- Federal: elected to the Senate for New South Wales 2010 (term began 1.7.2011) and 2016.
- Committee service
- State: Standing: Law and Justice from 21.5.03 to 2.3.07.
- Select: Increase in Prisoner Population from 17.11.99 to 13.12.01; NSW Taxi Industry from 10.11.09 to 19.7.10.
- Joint Standing: Electoral Matters from 26.6.07 to 19.7.10; National Capital and External Territories from 12.9.16.
- Joint Select: Cross City Tunnel from 29.11.05 to 19.5.06 and from 19.5.06 to 2.3.07.
- Member, Committee on the Office of the Ombudsman and Police Integrity Commission from 7.6.06 to 2.3.07).
- Federal: Senate Legislative and General Purpose Standing: Education, Employment and Workplace Relations: Legislation and References Committees from 5.7.11 to 14.10.15; Finance and Public Administration: Legislation and References Committees from 12.11.13 to 7.7.14 and from 13.9.16.
- Senate Standing: Senators' Interests from 1.9.16.
- Senate Select: Murray-Darling Basin Plan from 11.8.15 to 12.10.15.
- Joint Standing: Electoral Matters from 5.7.11 to 9.5.16 and from 14.9.16.
- Joint Select: Constitutional Recognition of Local Government from 1.11.12 to 7.3.13.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Australian Greens Portfolios: Democracy; Local Government; Higher Education; Assisting on National Security; Women; International Aid and Development; Animal Welfare; Forests from 1.7.11 to 1.7.12.
- Animal Welfare; Democracy; Forests from 1.7.12 to 11.11.13.
- Democracy; Local Government; Higher Education; Transport; Women; International Aid and Development; Animal Welfare; Forests from 11.11.13 to 1.7.14.
- Animal Welfare; Democracy and Local Government; Higher Education; International Aid and Development; Water and Murray Darling Basin from 1.7.14 to 25.5.15.
- Democracy and Local Government; International Aid and Development; Animal Welfare; Higher Education; Water and Murray Darling Basin from 25.5.15 to 15.9.15.
- Democracy and Local Government; International Aid and Development; Animal Welfare from 15.9.15 to 25.8.16.
- Democracy; Local Government; Housing; Industry; Animal Welfare; Gun Control from 25.8.16.
- Party positions
- Member, Waverley Greens from 1990.
- Member, Greens Wentworth Election Campaign Committee 1993, 1996, 1998.
- Convener, Greens (NSW) Industrial Relations Working Group 1998-2003.
- Member, Greens (NSW) State Election Campaign Committee 1999, 2003, 2007 and 2011.
- Member, Greens (NSW) Federal Election Campaign Committee 2001, 2004, 2007 and 2010.
- Born 30.5.1951, Sydney, NSW.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BSc (Hons)(NSW).
- Botany tutor, University of New South Wales 1975-76.
- Field ecology tutor, Macquarie University 1976-78.
- Secretary, Union of Australian Women (NSW) 1980-83.
- Member, NSW Women's Advisory Council 1980-82.
- Freelance journalist and editor 1982-89.
- Coordinator, overseas development and environment programs 1989-92.
- Director, Rainforest Information Centre 1990-92.
- Lecturer, Workers' Education Association 1990-92.
- General Studies tutor, University of New South Wales 1990-94.
- Director, AID/WATCH 1992-98.
- Member, NSW Legislative Council 1999-2010 (see Parliamentary service above).
- Taking a stand: women in politics and society (chapter, ed. J Scutt), Melbourne: Artemis, 1994.
- The Australian book of atheism (chapter, ed. W Bonett), Melbourne: Scribe, 2010.