- Parliamentary service
- Chosen by the Parliament of Western Australia on 15.5.2013 under section 15 of the Constitution to represent that State in the Senate, vice Hon. C Evans (resigned). Elected to the Senate for Western Australia 2016.
- Parliamentary positions
- Temporary Chair of Committees from 7.7.2014 to 9.5.2016.
- Deputy President of the Senate from 30.9.2016.
- Committee service
- Senate Standing: Senators' Interests from 12.11.2014 to 9.5.2016; Senators' Interests from 1.9.2016; Appropriations, Staffing and Security from 1.9.2016.
- Senate Select: Abbott Government's Commission of Audit from 12.12.2013 to 18.6.2014; Scrutiny of Government Budget Measures (formerly Abbott Government's Budget Cuts) from 26.6.2014 to 9.5.2016.
- Senate Legislative and General Purpose Standing: Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport: Legislation from 12.11.2013 to 1.7.2014; Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport: References from 12.11.2013 to 9.5.2016; Education, Employment and Workplace Relations: Legislation from 12.11.2013 to 12.2.2015; Education, Employment and Workplace Relations: References from 12.11.2013 to 12.2.2015 (Chair from 12.12.2013 to 12.2.2015); Legal and Constitutional Affairs: Legislation from 24.11.2014 to 9.5.2016; Education and Employment: References from 12.2.2015 to 9.5.2016 (Chair from 12.2.2015 to 9.5.2016); Education and Employment: Legislation from 12.2.2015 to 9.5.2016; Environment and Communications: References from 16.2.2017 to 6.3.2017 (Substitute member from 16.2.2017 to 6.3.2017).
- Joint Statutory: Law Enforcement from 4.7.2019.
- Joint Standing: Treaties from 4.12.2013 to 9.5.2016; Parliamentary Library (formerly Library) from 1.7.2014 (Chair from 10.10.2016); Trade and Investment Growth from 12.9.2016 to 11.10.2016.
- Joint Select: DisabilityCare Australia from 18.6.2013 to 5.8.2013.
- Party positions
- Member of the Australian Labor Party Education and Training Policy Committee (NSW).
- Member of the Australian Labor Party State Executive (WA) from 1990.
- Member of the Australian Labor Party Administrative Committee (WA) from 1990 to 1998.
- Delegate to the Australian Labor Party State Conference (WA) from 1990.
- Delegate to the Australian Labor Party National Conference from 2000.
- Member of the Australian Labor Party National Executive from 2002.
- Member of the Australian Labor Party National Policy Committee from 2007 to 2009.
- Delegate to the Australian Labor Party State Conference (NSW) from 2007.
- Vice-President of the Australian Labor Party Sydney Federal Electorate Council from 2008.
- Born 15.12.1953, Perth, Australia
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BEd (Murdoch University).
- Teacher 1984-85.
- Community organiser 1985-87.
- Organiser, United Voice 1987-2001.
- Assistant Branch Secretary, United Voice 2001-07.
- Assistant National Secretary, United Voice 2007-13.