- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the Senate for Queensland 2013 (term began 1.7.2014) and 2016.
- Committee service
- Senate Legislative and General Purpose Standing: Economics: Legislation and References Committees from 1.7.14 to 9.5.16 and from 1.9.16 (Chair of References from 1.9.16).
- Senate Select: Certain Aspects of Queensland Government Administration related to Commonwealth Government Affairs from 1.10.14 to 27.3.15.
- Joint Statutory: Corporations and Financial Services from 1.7.14 to 9.5.16 and from 12.9.16; Law Enforcement from 1.7.14 to 9.5.16; Public Accounts and Audit from 1.7.14 to 9.5.16 and from 15.9.16.
- Joint Standing: Electoral Matters from 1.7.14 to 24.2.16 and from 15.9.16; National Broadband Network from 15.9.16.
- Party positions
- Member, ALP State Administrative Committee (Qld).
- Delegate, ALP State Conference (Qld).
- Delegate, ALP National Conference.
- Member, ALP State Policy Coordination Council (Qld).
- Past Convener, ALP Economic Management Policy Committee.
- Delegate, State Electoral College (Qld).
- Past Member, ALP Finance Committee.
- Born 12.2.1961, Brisbane, Qld.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BA, BComm (Qld).
- Research Officer/Organiser, Shop Distributive and Allied Employees' Association (Qld) 1982-92.
- First Assistant Secretary, Shop Distributive and Allied Employees' Association (Qld) 1992-96.
- Secretary-Treasurer, Shop Distributive and Allied Employees' Association (Qld) 1996-2014.