- Parliamentary service
- Chosen by the Parliament of Victoria 31.3.2004 under section 15 of the Constitution to represent that State in the Senate, vice the Hon. RKR Alston (resigned) (term ended 30.6.2008). Elected 2007 (term began 1.7.2008) 2013 and 2016.
- Ministerial appointments
- Assistant Minister for Social Services from 18.9.13 to 21.9.15.
- Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for Digital Government from 21.9.15 to 18.2.16.
- Minister for the Arts from 21.9.15.
- Minister for Communications from 21.9.15.
- Committee service
- Senate Standing: Senators' Interests from 1.7.08 to 27.10.10 (Chair from 16.6.10 to 27.10.10); Selection of Bills from 9.3.10 to 9.5.16 and from 1.9.16; Procedure from 21.3.11 to 9.5.16 and from 1.9.16; Scrutiny of Bills from 1.7.11 to 16.3.12 (Chair from 6.7.11 to 16.3.12); Appropriations and Staffing from 13.11.13 to 9.5.16; Appropriations, Staffing and Security from 1.9.16.
- Senate Legislative and General Purpose Standing: Finance and Public Administration: Legislation and References Committees from 1.7.05 to 11.9.06 and from 27.10.10 to 30.6.11 (Chair from 28.10.10 to 30.6.11); Finance and Public Administration from 11.9.06 to 11.3.09 (Chair from 22.3.07 to 11.2.08); Employment, Workplace Relations and Education from 11.9.06 to 9.5.07.
- Senate Select: Housing Affordability in Australia from 14.2.08 to 16.6.08; Fuel and Energy from 12.11.08 to 30.8.10; Scrutiny of New Taxes from 30.9.10 to 1.11.11.
- Joint Standing: Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 17.8.07 to 19.7.10; Electoral Matters from 11.3.08 to 20.3.08.
- Joint Select: DisabilityCare Australia from 19.6.13 to 5.8.13.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Deputy Manager of Opposition Business in the Senate from 9.3.10 to 19.7.10.
- Manager of Opposition Business in the Senate from 28.9.10 to 5.8.13.
- Manager of Government Business in the Senate from 18.9.13 to 9.5.16.
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Disabilities, Carers and the Voluntary Sector from 20.2.09 to 14.9.10.
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 14.9.10 to 18.9.13. Shadow Minister for Disabilities, Carers and the Voluntary Sector from 14.9.10 to 18.9.13.
- Party positions
- Delegate, Liberal Party State Council (Vic.) from 1996.
- Delegate, Liberal Party State Assembly (Vic.) 1996 and from 2004.
- Born 16.1.1967, Sydney, NSW.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BA (Syd).
- Senior Research Officer to the NSW Minister for Transport and Sydney's Olympic Bid, the Hon. B Baird, MLA 1988-92.
- Policy Adviser to the Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Industrial Relations, the Hon. JD Anderson, MP 1992.
- Senior Policy Adviser to the Victorian Minister for Transport, the Hon. AJ Brown, MLA 1992-96.
- Senior Political Adviser to the Treasurer, the Hon. PH Costello, MP 1996-2003.
- Military Service
- Reservist, 12 Psych Unit, Australian Army Psychology Corps 1985-87.
|Capitol Telephone||(02) 6277 7480|
|Electorate Telephone||(03) 9584 2455|
|Electorate Fax||(03) 9584 8347|
|Electorate Telephone||1300 797 110|