- Parliamentary service
- Chosen by the Parliament of Western Australia on 28.4.2016 under section 15 of the Constitution to represent that State in the Senate, vice J Bullock (resigned). Elected to the Senate for Western Australia 2016. Re-elected 2019.
- Committee service
- Senate Select: Strengthening Multiculturalism from 23.3.2017 to 17.8.2017; Effectiveness of the Australian Government's Northern Australia Agenda from 22.7.2019.
- Senate Legislative and General Purpose Standing: Finance and Public Administration: References from 22.6.2016 to 14.12.2017 (Substitute member from 22.6.2016 to 14.12.2017); Legal and Constitutional Affairs: References from 1.9.2016 to 1.7.2019; Legal and Constitutional Affairs: Legislation from 16.2.2017 to 20.3.2017 (Substitute member from 16.2.2017 to 20.3.2017); Finance and Public Administration: Legislation from 26.10.2018 to 26.10.2018 (Substitute member from 26.10.2018 to 26.10.2018); Legal and Constitutional Affairs: Legislation from 27.11.2019 (Substitute member from 27.11.2019).
- Joint Statutory: Human Rights from 4.7.2019.
- Joint Standing: Northern Australia from 12.9.2016 to 11.4.2019; Northern Australia from 18.9.2019.
- Joint Select: Constitutional Recognition Relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples (2018) from 26.3.2018 to 29.11.2018 (Joint Chair from 27.3.2018 to 29.11.2018).
- Parliamentary party positions
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary to the Leader of the Opposition from 4.5.2016 to 23.7.2016.
- Shadow Assistant Minister for Indigenous Affairs and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders from 23.7.2016 to 2.6.2019.
- Shadow Assistant Minister for Reconciliation from 2.6.2019.
- Shadow Assistant Minister for Constitutional Recognition of Indigenous Australians from 2.6.2019.
- Born 29.1.1948, Broome, Australia
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- Hon LLD (University of Melbourne).
- Hon DLitt (University of New South Wales).
- Former Director, Central Land Council.
- Former Director, Kimberley Land Council.
- Member, Yawuru Native Title Corporation.
- Ordained Catholic Priest, Missionaries of the Sacred Heart 1975.
- Royal Commissioner into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody, 1989.
- Chair, Council for Aboriginal Reconciliation, 1991-97.
- Chairman, Nyambu Buru Yawuru Ltd 2010-16.
- Co-Chair, Expert Panel for Constitutional Recognition of Indigenous Australians, 2010-16.
- Former Member, Council of the Australian National University, 2014.
- Sydney Peace Prize 2008.
- Kakadu Region social impact study: community action plan [Report of the Study Advisory Group], Supervising Scientist, Canberra: 1997.
- The Democracy Game, Fraser Lecture 2002, May 2002 2002.
- A National Conversation About Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Constitutional Recognition [Report of the Expert Panel], You Me Unity, Australia: 2011.
- Recognising Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in the Constitution [Report of the Expert Panel], You Me Unity, Australia: 2012.
- Managing a path towards meaningful change and recognition, in M Davis and M Langton (Eds.), 'It's our Country: Indigenous Arguments for Meaningful Constitutional Recognition and Reform', Melbourne University Press, Australia: 2016.