- Parliamentary service
- Chosen by the Parliament of South Australia on 4.5.2006 under section 15 of the Constitution to represent that State in the Senate, vice the Hon. RM Hill (resigned)(term ended 30.6.2008). Elected 2007 (term began 1.7.2008) 2013 and 2016.
- Parliamentary positions
- Temporary Chair of Committees from 11.3.09 to 2.2.10 and from 10.10.12 to 2.5.16.
- Committee service
- Senate Standing: Publications from 12.3.08 to 15.6.15; Senators' Interests from 27.10.10 to 9.5.16 and from 1.9.16 to 12.9.16; Scrutiny of Bills from 13.11.13 to 9.5.16 and from 1.9.16 to 12.9.16.
- Senate Legislative and General Purpose Standing: Economics from 11.9.06 to 11.2.08; Finance and Public Administration from 23.10.06 to 22.12.06 and from 10.3.09 to 14.5.09; Finance and Public Administration: Legislation and References Committees from 14.5.09 to 2.2.10, from 30.9.10 to 27.10.10, from 13.11.13 to 9.5.16 and from 1.9.16 to 12.9.16 (Chair of Legislation from 14.11.13 to 9.5.16 and from 1.9.16 to 12.9.16); Economics Legislation and References from 1.9.16 to 12.9.16.
- Senate Select: Men's Health from 13.11.08 to 29.5.09; Abbott Government's Commission of Audit from 12.12.13 to 11.2.14; National Broadband Network from 1.7.14 to 3.3.15; Recent Allegations relating to Conditions and Circumstances at the Regional Processing Centre in Nauru from 26.03.15 to 31.8.15.
- Joint Statutory: Corporations and Financial Services from 28.2.07 to 11.2.08; Public Accounts and Audit from 13.11.13 to 9.5.16.
- Joint Select: Australia's Immigration Detention Network from 22.6.11 to 30.3.12.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Families and Community Services from 6.12.07 to 22.9.08; Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Disabilities, Carers and the Voluntary Sector from 22.9.08 to 19.2.09; Shadow Parliamentary Secretary Assisting the Leader of the Opposition from 8.12.09; Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Infrastructure and Population Policy from 8.12.09 to 14.9.10; Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Supporting Families from 14.9.10 to 19.9.12.
- Party positions
- Vice-President, Liberal Party (SA) 1997.
- Member, State Executive, Liberal Party (SA) 1997-2003.
- Member, Liberal Party Finance Committee (SA) 1997-2000.
- President, Liberal Party (SA) 1998-2000.
- Member, Liberal Party Federal and State Campaign Committees 1998-2000.
- Member, Liberal Party Federal Executive 1998-2000 and 2005-06.
- Member, Liberal Party Appeals Tribunal (SA) 2004-06.
- Member, Liberal Party Multicultural Committee (SA) 2004-08.
- Federal Vice-President, Liberal Party of Australia 2005-06.
- Born 6.11.1969, Adelaide, SA.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- Diploma in Financial Services (FPA).
- Graduate Certificate in Business Management (Edinburgh Business School).
- Self-employed hotelier 1992-96.
- Investment adviser and fund manager 1996-2006.
- The money tree: securing your child's financial success, self-published, 2007.
- Fit for life!, self-published, 2008.
- As I see it: thoughts of a conservative, self-published, 2009.
- No left turn: more thoughts of a conservative, self-published, 2011.
- On the right track, self-published, 2012.
- The conservative revolution, Ballarat, Vic.: Connor Court Publishing, 2013.